School Year Extended to June 19, 2020
Our school year calendar includes a number of possible make up days in the event that students miss instructional days due to weather or other emergencies. Corvallis students missed five days of school (March 16-20) leading up to Spring Break as we followed Governor Kate Brown’s mandated school closure order.
- In order to make up the five instructional days, students will continue with Distance Learning and we will utilize the designated school make up days from June 15-19.
- June 19 will be the last day of the 2019-20 school year.
Distance Learning for All began April 6 for middle and high school students and April 13 for elementary students. The additional time for Distance Learning in June provides a final week of learning activities and closure for students and teachers and will extend our connection with at-risk students leading into the summer months. Our staff is working hard to connect resources and support to all families and we are grateful for your patience and partnership.
Reminders About Grading and Gradebook During Distance Learning
- Seniors/families will be notified next week by email if graduation requirements have been completed. A detailed plan for seniors that still have graduation requirements to complete will be provided through email next week as well.
- The following grade codes will be used in Gradebook for new assignments:
- Z = Assignment has not been turned in.
- T = Assignment turned in but not graded.
- 1 = Assignment graded but does not yet show proficiency (students should have multiple opportunities to demonstrate proficiency).
- 2 = Graded assignment demonstrates proficiency.
- All assignments during distant learning are to be formative.
- Current grades in Gradebook are represented as Pass/Incomplete for Semester 2.
- A Passing grade is 60% or above.
- Current grades are based on a combination of progress made up to the point of school closure (March 13) as well as additional assignments during distance learning.
- Students that receive any final grades of I (incomplete) will have multiple opportunities in the following school year to change any I (incomplete grades) in to P (passing grades).
CV Graduation Update
Planning for Graduation 2020
Our high school staff and student leaders have been meeting (hello! virtual meetings) and planning for ways to reimagine senior class activities leading up to graduation. Stay tuned for updates on how to get involved and stay connected as we go virtual with these traditions.
Graduation for the class of 2020 will take place the week of June 5.
- We are maintaining this time schedule due to the continued uncertainty of when gatherings will be allowed to take place.
- We know that a postponement to a later date will impact many students who will be moving away from Corvallis to follow their next steps in life.
- We don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to celebrate our graduates and their accomplishments as they complete their educational journey with us.
- Next week we will send a survey to students and families to gather your input on graduation ceremony ideas.
All families with a high school graduate may request a “Home of a 2020 Graduate” sign for their yard or window. The Gillott Home Team is sponsoring free signs for CHS, CVHS, and College Hill grads, thanks to speedy work from Xtreme Grafx! The Gillott Home Team at Keller Williams Realty Mid-Willamette. Randy Dobson and Michele Dobson will be coordinating drop off. Signs need to be ordered by emailing email@example.com with name of parent, student name, which school and address please. Please include “Corvallis Sign” in the subject line. We are grateful for this generous spirit of community celebration!
In addition, our school is working with a local business, Element Graphics, to provide a personalized yard sign and a 2020 graduate t-shirt to all graduating seniors at no cost to you.
Seniors need to complete the Graduate Questionnaire that was sent to their school email to receive their personalized sign and senior t-shirt.
Our school staff is excited to create a memorable graduation experience for this remarkable time in our history. Thank you for your support!
Wi-Fi Access available at LPMS North Parking Lot
To support the learning needs of students, our district has created an internet access area in the Linus Pauling Middle School parking lot, located at 1111 NW Cleveland Avenue. Access located in the north parking lot, please enter from NW Highland Drive.
Wi-Fi access is available from 7 am – 10 pm, 7 days a week.
- Student devices will automatically login through the district filter at this location.
- Parent/guardian non-district devices can also login to the Corvallis School District Wi-Fi network using the password Education.
- If you come to the area by car, please plan to remain in your vehicle.
- If you are not in a vehicle, please practice safe physical distancing (6 feet or more) from others.
- The area will be monitored, but no supervision will be provided.
Please call the Technology Services Department Help Desk with questions about student device connectivity. 541-757-3911, Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm
Social Studies Curriculum to be Adopted, Public Viewing and Comment Invited
As part of the instructional materials adoption cycle, the Corvallis School District has been reviewing middle and high school social studies curriculum materials to ensure alignment with state educational standards.
On April 22-30, 2020, the instructional materials in review for this adoption cycle will be available for public viewing and comment. This is an opportunity for constituents to be able to look at the curricular materials and to provide feedback. Due to the current school closure period, materials are available online only. An online form is available to provide your feedback.
Visit the district website at the following link to review the materials.
Community Flyers for Friday April 24
Community flyers are now shared on the Corvallis School District website! Learn about programs, sports, and opportunities in our community. Flyers posted this week are listed below:
Classes and programs:
High School student job opportunities & internships:
Please visit the community flyers page for all current flyers: